Bebop Spoken There
“Hank [Mobley], as far as I’ve heard, never played a wrong or corny note.” Eric Alexander (Jazz Times June 2013).
“I don't even remember learning to read music. I could always do it.” - Henry Lowther (Jazzwise July 2011).
June 23 Ray Chester Tribute Concert.
As most of you already know, sadly, Ray passed away in January this year and as a mark of respect and celebration of his music, the band has agreed to perform one final concert with all proceeds going to St Benedict’s Hospice (Monkwearmouth). It is probably, most fitting that this “Tribute Concert” will be at the Customs House, South Shields where Ray has appeared every year since 2007. A memorable and emotional night truly awaits the band’s last captive audience. The event is being recorded and modestly priced copies can be ordered on the night. Tickets available from the Customs House – 0191 4541234 or www.customshouse.co.uk
More info from the Ray Chester website.
TODAY THURSDAY JUNE 20.
JACK HAMILTON (solo keyboard plus vocalist) - La Bodega Tapas bar, 84 Newgate St., Morpeth, NE61 1BU. 01670 516055.
Sophisticated sounds and vocals.
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Bebop Spoken Here -- Here, being the north-east of England -- centred in the blues heartland of Newcastle and reaching down to the Tees Delta and looking upwards to the Land of the Kilt.
Not a very original title, I know; not even an accurate one as my taste, whilst centred around the music of Bird and Diz, extends in many directions and I listen to everything from King Oliver to Chick Corea and beyond. Not forgetting the Great American Songbook the contents of which has provided the inspiration for much great jazz and quality popular singing for round about a century.
The idea of this blog is for you to share your thoughts and pass on your comments on discs, gigs, jazz - music in general. If you've been to a gig/concert or heard a CD that knocked you sideways please share your views with us. Tell us about your favourites, your memories, your dislikes.
Lance (Who wishes it to be known that he is not responsible for postings other than his own and that he's not always responsible for them.)
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org I look forward to hearing from you.
- ► 2013 ( 535 )
- ► 2012 ( 1004 )
- ► 2011 ( 899 )
- ► 2010 ( 912 )
- ► 2009 ( 772 )
- SIDE IS BACK (this Monday)
- Chet Baker; Singer or Trumpet player?
- Taking It To The Extreme At The Chilli
- R.I.P Bob Florence
- Gary Potter and his Waltone guitar by Ron Chapman
- Slim Gaillard on Norman Granz
- The Story of the Hagstrom James L D'Aquisto Guitar...
- No Jazz At St Nicks
- Zoe Gilby Sextet at Blaydon Jazz Club
- Lee Young R.I.P
- The Blofield Experiment
- Alan Glen at the Chillingham
- Tyne Valley Stomping at Saltwell Park
- Keith Armstrong Book Launch
- Music To Sooth The Savaged Breast
- George Shearing 89 not out
- Stacey Kent at the Gala Theatre Durham
- Blossom Dearie
- Swinging in the Rain
- Bird evicted From Treehouse
- Gene Autrey Rides Again. Saville Exchange North Sh...
- John Hallam with the Jeremy McMurray/Roly Veitch Q...
- Bobby Durham R.I.P
- Another Day at The Office for the Chillingham Herd...
- Carol Kidd in Jarrow (on LP)
- MacJazz Says ...
- Ornette Coleman says...
- BBC Blues
- ▼ August ( 29 )
Posting a Comment
Posting a comment.
1) Click on comments (at the foot of the posting.).
2) In the window that appears Click on...O Name/URL.
3) Type your name in the box (URL is optional).
4) Click on PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT.
5) Type the jumbled word verification if asked.
Alternatively, email me - email@example.com.